Welcome, Jon Evans of the KiCad project!
Jon Evans is a longtime developer on the KiCad project and practicing EE at Formlabs. He joins Chris to talk about the future of KiCad, including features that are coming in V6.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 2:15 Making changes to the platform
- 4:00 History of the codebase – Chat with the KiCad team about V6 and beyond
- 5:05 Jon’s work background – Jon works for Formlabs
- 8:20 What is coming in KiCad v6?
- 10:45 Working with legacy code in KiCad
- 13:30 Looking at an example project
- 14:50 Schematic editor
- 18:50 Changes to the schematic UI
- 21:00 Layout tool
- 22:45 Changes to the layout UI
- 24:10 The split of beginner vs advanced users
- 25:55 The benefits of an open source tool
- 26:25 Comparison to tools that are cloud based
- 27:45 The KiCad ecosystem
- 30:45 KiCad Professional Services
- 32:00 KiCon 2021
- 33:10 What is DRC? How is it changing?
- 37:40 The challenges of live DRC
- 40:15 Example of DRC
- 46:05 New python API
- 48:30 Example project for using python scripting with KiCad
- 50:00 How the KiCad project works with feature requests
- 52:15 Working with the console inside KiCad
- 53:55 What else is Jon excited about in V6?
- 56:20 KiCad as a professional tool?
- 1:00:05 Following Jon online
- 1:02:10 Conclusion
Thank you for supporting The Contextual Electronics Podcast! Here’s how you can follow and help us grow:
- Please follow us on social media:
- Please consider leaving us a review
Video version of the podcast: